Translate

The content and opinions expressed in this blog are mine. They do not represent the US Government or US Peace Corps - Jud Dolphin

Tuesday, October 6

CASH AND PESOS

I'm back in Mexico—Ajijic, Mexico, on Lake Chapala. What was once a quaint fishing village has grown and changed. Now there’s a mix of Mexican families and expats, mostly from the USA and Canada.

I like being here. The people are warm and welcoming. Family life spills out onto the plaza, streets, and small shops. Festivals dot the days with mariachi bands, traditional dress, parades, and lots of fireworks. And of course, the food is great, whether from a street cart or a sit-down restaurant.

Can you see why I love being here? 

Now, on to the story. It’s a preview from my next book, coming in 2027.

If you’d like to see what I’ve been writing about, you can check out my recent book on Amazon, Adventures of Purpose & Wonder.



I need cash. Mexican pesos. A friend tells me about a bank. Neither of us are certain about its location. So what else to do, I consult Google Maps. I discover it’s all the way on the other side of town. So I better start walking.

Soon I discover distance is not the only challenge. The sidewalk is sketchy and crumbling. Walking with a cane, I have to be deliberate with each step, navigating dips, cracks and uneven patches. Too soon I’m worn down and dripping sweat.

The bank is harder to find than I thought. A battered sign farther down the road catches my eye. Faded ATM letters are painted across its peeling board. For an instant, I wonder if I’m even in the right place.

I almost miss seeing the bank’s facade. It’s hidden behind rows of cars in a small parking lot. But there it is—a welcome sight. Up the half-dozen steps and through the heavy glass doors, I make my way inside. I’m in air conditioning. So cool.

But as I look around, I begin wondering. Maybe I’m missing something. I don’t see an ATM. Where is it hidden? I locate an attendant, and she says, “Lo siento, aquí no.” (Sorry, not here).

“Ugh.” Unbelievable—nothing here. What now?

Eventually, I’m given directions to a satellite bank. And guess what? It’s back along the same road where I’ve just navigated my walk. Imagine the feeling.

Then, perhaps overhearing our conversation or reading my exhausted body language, another bank customer volunteers, “I’m looking for an ATM too, and I have a car. Want a lift?”

Yes, indeed. “Eureka!” I jump into the car and introduce myself to this kind stranger. She’s here on vacation. Her name is Jennifer—the same name as a favorite niece. We start a conversation and in less than a chatty ten minutes, we arrive at the satellite bank.

Soon I’m walking up steps again and slinging open another glass door. Standing in a corner is, indeed, an ATM—blinking a welcome.

Maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised, but of course, all the instructions are in Spanish. I wonder again. Is this going to be another challenge to an already arduous morning?

No need to worry. To the rescue, a nearby attendant sees my need and offers help. She speaks some English. Soon with a few clicks, I’m surrounded by English—on both the screen and in person.

I introduce myself and learn that her name is Monica. I tell her about my morning. Our conversation flows. I ask how she acquired such good English. She mentions school, university, and then adds, almost like a confession, “Speaking is still difficult. I get afraid of making mistakes and feeling embarrassed.”

I wonder how many others have similar experiences. They get introduced to English in school and may even attend classes. Still after years of effort, they have few opportunities to actually use their English.

My mind begins brain-storming. What if there were a place where people could simply come and speak the English they already know? Not another class, but something more like casual conversation. People getting together, sharing experiences without judgment and perhaps discovering something new.

I leave Monica and begin my walk home to my apartment. It’s a familiar walk, but my mind is fresh with ideas. Monica’s words keep coming back to me: “Speaking is still difficult. I get afraid of making mistakes and feeling embarrassed.”

I remember my Peace Corps days in Ukraine. Back then, business and government leaders wanted more practice with English. So we started a weekly gathering called Leadership English. It wasn’t really a class. It was a place to use English—talk with one another, ask questions, exchange ideas and simply become more comfortable speaking.

Maybe something like this could work here in Mexico? I smile to myself. An idea is beginning to take shape.

Over the next several weeks, I talk with people—Mexicans who have studied English and want more chances to speak, and English-speaking expats who are looking for opportunities to help. Both are enthusiastic and add ideas.

The conversations grow, but I keep hearing the same thing: people want to talk. They want to use their English without feeling that every sentence has to be perfect. So I sit down at my computer and organize ideas into a simple digital poster.

LET’S TALK

Intermediate English — B1

We get together to use our English.

We talk without worry or judgment.

It’s a club where everyone gets to speak.

We’ll have fun and discover how much we already know.

Join us.

I tell the people at the Lake Chapala Society about LET’S TALK. The Society is a gathering place for the local foreign and bilingual community, so they understand immediately what I’m trying to do. They’re enthusiastic. 

They offer to spread the word and help find participants. Even better, they offer their community library as a place for us to meet—Saturday at noon. Who would have thought it—searching for an ATM would lead to this?

As I finish this story, I’m so surprised. I went looking for cash and discovered that conversations—even chance ones—can make good things happen.

Even Storms Have Beauty




















2 comments:

  1. Jud, this is a lovely story. Miss you here but I'm in awe and so inspired by your return to Ajijic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me remember the "Conversstional English" class l led in Krusevo. I met lovely people whom l called friends. Sure miss them!

    ReplyDelete