Translate

The content and opinions expressed in this blog are mine. They do not represent the US Government or US Peace Corps - Jud Dolphin

Friday, November 2

A WAKE-UP EXPLOSION

It’s 5:00 am and I’m in a deep peaceful sleep.

Suddenly, a volley of explosions pierce my dreams. I look up at the skylight above my bed. Flashes of light cut through the early morning darkness. Each explosion, in rapid succession, startles. and yes, scares me.

My mind searches for explanations. What’s happening? A snippet of the Star Spangle Banner - “the bombs bursting in air.” brings an uneasy feeling. 

Each blast is so loud and direct. I feel vibrations across my skin. Is this what an invasion feels like?

I live about a half block from the Church.  Its tower houses several levels of bells ...all sizes.  

In the midst of the explosions, they start clanging  their cacophony demanding attention. 

I peek out my window. But all I see are a few early morning risers strolling down the narrow street oblivious of the sound and furry.

Puzzling….Explosions and church bells in the pre-dawn of Ajijic, Mexico.

Later, I learn that the hullabaloo marks the beginning of a month long celebration. October is a month devoted to Our Lady of the Rosary. 




La Virgin del Rosario is represented by a small antique statue of Mary holding baby Jesus. Here in Ajijic, she occupies a special chapel on the edge of the Main Plaza.


But during October, she goes traveling.  

Strong shoulders carry her into the neighboring town of San Antonio Tlayacapan and then the various parishes around Ajijic. 

 Wherever she goes, the faithful follow.  While only a statue, she's engaging the people.

Each dawn at 5 am, a blast of skyrockets and bells call people to mass.  

I know because it's becoming a kind of jarring alarm for me. I glance at my clock...”Yup, it’s 5:00 am.” Damn or is there more….?

I’m told that the skyrockets have a double meaning. 

For sure they wake up people, but it’s said that they also alert the angels that prayers and devotion are soon to be flooding the heavens.

Strange isn’t it? When we begin to change the way we think about things, those same things change. 

Now when I’m jarred awake by explosions and bells, I gravitate towards meditation.  My mind asks, “Are you woke...In whom do you live and die and have your being?"

Yes, I’ve grown to appreciate my “alarm” in these noisy pre-dawns of October in Ajijic. 


Sure it’s jarring, but maybe that’s the point because it's reminding people of the good stuff - kindness, forgiveness, and justice towards all creation.  It's a way to center in the beauty and wonder of living.  Now that's a pretty good way to start a day.

*****


Here’s a charming and thoughtful story about a woman’s life in 1946 Ajijic. It references our Lady of the Rosary and can still echo in our modern times. I think you'll enjoy a read.

2 comments: